Okay, seriously? This fucker is one of the most relentlessly creepy monsters Buffy’s ever had.
It’s not just that he’s just so ugly, but it’s… the hat. I don’t know why, it just gives him that little extra “gyeurgh!” Also, he does this:
Which—NO. NO THANK YOU SIR I AM QUITE COMFORTABLE.
Besides that special little cupcake up there, there’s really not much to say about Killed By Death. Except… well, Cordy was pretty on in this episode. I mean, besides my title for this post, she got some brilliant lines in this one, including one of my personal favorites: “Tact is just not saying true stuff. I’ll pass.”
Oh, and she also was the one to find and identify Monsieur Creep up there.
And I know I’m using “and” a lot here, but she also joins Angelus in dropping some truth bombs on Xander re: his White Knight syndrome when it comes to Buffy. She’s right, too—it’s not attractive, and it’s insensitive to Cordy, which I’m pretty sure is against most of the laws of man. Not that he ever gets reprimanded at all for it, but this is my issue, and it will come up many times, I’m sure. Someone has to do it, and it might as well be me.
As for other things… well, Buffy has to face her fears in this one, and at diminished operating power, too, since Der KindestOhGodWhatIsThatThing can only be seen when one is burning up with fever.
Not to mention that Buffy’s freaked out by hospitals anyway (right there with ya, Buff) because her little cousin died in one when she was 8 and hey, by the way, that thing you have to fight is exactly the thing that killed your cousin, so…
Oh, side note: How cute is it that bitty Buffy used to pretend to be a superhero? The phrase “be careful what you wish for” comes to mind, but it’s also another layer in the delicious cake that is our petite heroine. Is it now any wonder that despite how thoroughly it fucks up her life, she still does her duty by mankind? The girl has the savior gene.
Now. About this metaphor… I’m not sure what to make of it. It can be one of many things: facing mortality at an early age (something done so much better in Prophecy Girl, imo), Angels of Death (those scary people that kill sick people in hospitals because of… reasons?), or—and I think I’ll go with this last one—people who prey on children especially.
As Giles so aptly says, there are lots of monsters that grown-ups can’t see but children can, and many times it’s just plain old people… Wait, not old people… What I mean to say is people who appear “normal.” And just like Der Kindestod, they can very well suck the life out of children—figuratively, if not literally. Fuck, now I’ve gone and depressed the shit out of myself.
Ahh. That helps.
- Why did I think it was impossible for Buffy to even get sick?
- Really? Angelus is scared of the mean ol’ crossie wossies?
- Cordelia: No, but while she’s in here, she might as well get that thing done. You know, that thing on her face? You know that thing.
Willow: Do you think Angel will attack Buffy in here?
Xander: He can come in, it’s a public building.
Willow: That’s true.
Cordelia: Am I the only one that’s noticed that thing?
- … Don’t hospitals take off all your jewelry?
- Okay, that kid saying “he comes at night” gave me a feeling of dread. It’s the resignation and matter-of-fact tone, like it’s inevitable… It’s just… Maybe I need a trigger warning for that. :(
- I kinda like the lady doctor.
- Buffy: Homework!
Willow: It’s my way of saying, “get well soon.”
Buffy: You know, chocolate says that even better.
Willow: I did all your assignments. All you have to do is sign your name.
Buffy: Chocolate means nothing to me.
- Xander saw The Seventh Seal??
- “So this isn’t about you being afraid of hospitals ‘cause your friend died and you wanna conjure up a monster that you can fight so you can save everybody and not feel so helpless?” Cordelia/Tactlessness, OTP
- Xander: Cordelia, someone’s gotta watch her back.
Cordelia: Yeah, well, I’ve seen you watch her back.
Xander: What is that supposed to mean?
Cordelia: Well, I was using the phrase “watch her back” as a euphemism for “looking at her butt.” You know, sort of a pun.
- I love that Cordy brings donuts and coffee without a word. Look, I just love Cordy, okay?!
- So cute that Willow plays “Doctor” wrong.
- Xander: Finding out who this thing is takes priority. Cordy, you should go with Giles.
Giles: Why do I have to have—Uh, good thinking. I-I-I could do with a research assistant.
Cordelia: Let’s go, Tact Guy.
- Cordelia: Ouch. Wait, what does this one do?
Giles: It asks endless questions of those with whom it’s supposed to be working so that nothing is getting done.
Cordelia: Boy, there’s a demon for everything!
- I love Buffy’s gray top. I want me to have it.