Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What am I gonna do? Slay vampires on stage?

 

This one’s an odd one, I’ll admit. I mean, there doesn’t seem to be much to it besides the “school talent shows suck” angle. I mean, I guess there’s some stuff about sacrifice and how someone really committed to the demon-slaying gig may be asked to give up everything, but really? I’d just focus on how funny parts of The Puppet Show are.

I mean, there’s the introduction of Principal Snyder (technically the longest surviving Sunnydale High principal), horny dummies, and Cordelia singing.

The Puppet Show does work on another level, though, and that’s in the interesting choices the gang makes when it comes to “talent.”

Giles is naturally the director, which correlates with his status as a Watcher. And Buffy, Willow, and Xander choose to act. Their first choice is to play parts? Things that make you go “hmm.”

Cordelia’s is the most obviously perfect, of course; why wouldn’t she choose something where she’s the center of the spotlight, and why wouldn’t she choose a song that’s primarily about learning to love one’s self? The phrase “fits like a glove” could find some purchase here, if you ask me.

And hey, make sure to stay for the credits. Comedy gold.

 

Stray observations:

  • “Sunnydale has touched and felt for the last time.”
  • Goosebumps has successfully ensured that I will be freaked out by dummies for the rest of my natural life.
  • “There are things I will not tolerate: students loitering on campus after school, horrible murders with hearts being removed. And also smoking.” Snyder kinda rules.
  • Did I mention to stay for the credits? Stay for the credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment